This is a phenomenon I have long studied. Not through journals, or clinical trials, but through my own blood, sweat and tears experience. No question about it, when some of my favorite 80’s tunes come on, I start rocking out on my cardio routine even harder.
So here, for your perverse enjoyment, is a list of my all-time top ten favorite 80’s songs to jam out to at the gym (not ranked in any particular order).
1. Pour Some Sugar on Me, Def Leppard
2. You Shook Me All Night Long, AC/DC
3. Love is a Battlefield, Pat Benatar
4. We’re Not Gonna Take It, Twisted Sister
5. Straight Up, Paula Abdul
6. Faith, George Michael
7. What I Like About You, The Romantics
8. Working for the Weekend, Loverboy
9. Gloria, Lauren Branigan
10. Livin’ On a Prayer, Bon Jovi
Some are better for certain kinds of cardio, and on the good workout days, my iPod seems to know just what songs to play to keep me going long past when I vowed I would let myself stop. Thanks, Steve Jobs. Just one more way you’ve wormed yourself into my life.