through my job as a publicist, i have the pleasure of working with some truly amazing companies. one of our newest clients, blendtec, has been particularly beneficial for dan and i. though we were eyeing a vitamix for a bit, we’re both extremely glad we didn’t take the plunge, because the blendtec has been an absolute dream. one of our cold-weather fascinations is making soup. that’s right, you can make soup right in the blender. how cool is that? here is a recent recipe we developed that took basically no time to prepare, but tasted delicious.
spicy carrot & cauliflower soup
1-2 cups baby carrots
1 head of cauliflower
1 small poblano pepper
2-3 cloves of garlic
1.5 tbsp olive oil
salt, pepper, turmeric, nutmeg, chili powder (amounts subject to personal taste)
3 stalks of celery
1 bunch of kale
1.5 cups of veggie broth (water also works, but does not have as much flavor)
1. pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. chop up your carrots and cauliflower, along with optional poblano pepper and a few cloves of garlic. we simply measured the amount by placing the uncooked vegetables in the wildside jar of our blendtec to see how many we would need.
3. in a large bowl, toss the vegetables with olive oil and seasoning. make sure every surface is covered. we used salt, pepper, nutmeg, turmeric and a bit of chili powder (which is what gives the end result a bit of a spicy kick).
4. spread the veggies out on a cooking sheet (we cover ours with foil to minimize cleanup) and place on the top rack of the oven. turn on the convection fan if your oven has that option. cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the vegetables start to brown.
5. while your veggies are roasting, chop up some celery for garnish on top of the soup.
6. once everything is cooked, simply throw the veggies back in the blender.
7. add some veggie stock. enough to get everything moving and that will achieve the soup texture you prefer. dan and i like our soup a bit thicker, so we only used about 1.5 cups of liquid. press the button for the “soup” blend cycle. hold the lid down, and prepare to be amazed.
8. after the 90 seconds is up, simply pour into bowls and serve. we topped ours with celery and a bit of toasted kale for texture and extra green vitamins. voila!
as always, don’t forget to share a little with someone you love. especially if she has been patiently waiting right next to your feet throughout the preparation process.