a few weeks ago, i posted 14 different pizza recipe suggestions for 2014. dan and i have been trying to use any free friday nights we have to cook our way through the ones we haven’t tried yet. one such pie was the reuben pizza! since i am not currently eating cheese, we used vegan mozzarella, but the overall outcome was absolutely delicious!
vegan reben pizza
8oz warm water
1tbsp olive oil
4oz rye flour
12oz white flour
.5 tbsp sugar (we use beet sugar)
1 package of instant rising yeast
follow your heart vegan mozzarella
canned tomatoes (diced)
1 can of white beans
1tbsp olive oil
1. combine water, olive, sugar and yeast in a bowl. whisk until mixed completely.
2. allow this to sit for 15 minutes.
3. in a separate bowl, mix flour and salt. add to other bowl. mix thoroughly (some people may choose to use a mixer at this point, but you can do it by hand as well), until the dough is sticky and completely mixed.
4. take dough out of bowl and knead for about ten minutes. add water as needed (but only a .5tbsp at a time) if the mixture gets too dry.
5. put the dough ball back into the bowl and place a towel over it. allow it to sit out (room temperature) for at least an hour.
6. once the dough has risen, place it on a countertop and roll it flat with a rolling pin. (if you can toss it, this will help decrease any bubble potential, but not everyone was graced with this talent).
7. pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. once the oven is pre-heated, put your cast iron pan in for about ten minutes to warm up the pizza surface.
8. mix your white bean/mustard sauce base by mixing the beans, mustard, salt, pepper and olive oil in a food processor.
9. remove the pan from the oven and carefully drape the pizza dough evenly on the pan.
10. spread mustard/bean sauce evenly over the dough.
11. add all other toppings.
12. place the pizza in the oven for 20-25 minutes until it starts to brown. (before taking it out of the oven for good, check the bottom to make sure it is brown as well).
13. once you remove the pizza from the oven, allow it to sit on the pan for another five minutes.
14. remove pizza from pan. slice and serve!
i found this pizza to be most enjoyable (as i do with most pizzas) when topped with pickles!
they just add such a nice, cool crunch and a sharp taste.